Custom Search

2012-11-29

Disaster! Cracked Top

I was thicknessing the top for my friend's 10-string guitar and I wanted to measure the thickness of the top So I went to fetch the thickness gauge on the rack.
Unfortunately, I had glued the guitar #3 top to the heel block and left it hanging loosely on the rack by the C-heel block.
I accidentally knock if over and it dropped hitting my old solera which was placed below.

Oh shit!
I pick it up and examine it after realising what had happened.
The top crack at 3 location 1 at the waist and 2 at the upper bout.
The UTB was also dislodged.
And so I began my repair.

I glue in all the seams with hide glue and glue in 3 spruce patches at the end of the crack to stop it from propagating.
After the glue dried I use chisel to par the patch down.
I sand the other side with 150 grit and then 1000 grit
Looks nearly invisible at the waist.
The upper bout was more serious but it's barely visible.
Look like I can continue to use this top.



Waist crack


Upper bout cracked at 2 places


UTB dislodged


Glue at the waist


Open the seam and apply some hide glue there.


Glue back the UTB and upper bout region


Finally glue in the patch


Parred down the patch


Looks like a hump


The other patch done.


Sanded the upper bout still show some visible crack.


Waist region was nearly invisible.

No comments: